Have you ever heard or read the words saging or smudging? Have you ever wondered what they mean? In certain groups, it has become part of the common language to talk about smudging. You may hear someone talk about how the energy in their home felt “heavy” until they burnt their “sage stick”.
What is surprising is that Smudging is not new. In fact, it is an ancient ceremony. It is a tool that everyone can benefit from. In this article, you will learn what smudging is, when to smudge, and how to sage your house. We will introduce a step-by-step guide to smudging, where to buy smudging tools and how to modernize smudging in a practical and effective manner.
What is smudging?
Smudging is an excellent way to cleanse a space and invite positive energy. It is an Indigenous American tradition that involves burning herbs, such as sage. The smoke fills and purifies the environment, the person or the group. It was believed that the spirit of the plant is used to transmute an unwanted energy into a more balanced one.
When to smudge?
- Many people smudge when they move into a new place or stay in a hotel room, to purify the new space.
- You may wish to perform a smudging ceremony after you hear bad news, or when you are preparing for a big change in your life.
- Smudging could also help you deal with the aftereffects of a big argument or a long illness.
- It is advisable to smudge before and after receiving a client in a workplace.
- Smudging a new purchase, such as a new car or a wedding gown, to ward off the “evil eye” has been practiced in different cultures.
Smudging ceremony step-by-step
There are many different ways to smudge an area or a person. No matter what tradition you follow, you will get the desired outcome as long as your intention is clear and authentic. Remember the phrase popularized by spiritual teacher Tony Robbins: “Where attention goes, energy flows.”
How to sage your house:
- Set the intention to clear the energy and call upon any higher guidance that is important to you. Start by stating a few things that you are grateful for, and then ask for the desired outcome of the smudging ceremony. For example: “Dear God, we ask that all unwanted energies go to the Light and be replaced by benevolent positive energies which support the growth and fulfillment of our highest good.”
- Prepare the tools: If you’re using sage, you will need bundled or loose dried sage leaves and a clay pot (or any other pot to your liking).
- Light the leaves with the use of matches or a lighter, let the fire catch for a few seconds then blow it to create smoke.
- Spread the smoke in the house. You may use a feather to fan the smoke as you walk around. Some traditions start from the entry door, and some others prefer starting from the basement up.
- Continue with the prayers while walking around spreading the smoke in every corner of every room.
- When you have finished all the house you may leave the leaves to turn into ashes or stub the bundle to a hard surface until it is extinguished.
- Open windows to let the smoke out to release the stagnant energy.
Where to buy smudging sage
It is easy to find smudging sage online as well as in spiritual product stores. Smudging sage is gaining popularity as people realize the importance of purifying their energy.
Sage Spray: a smoke free smudging alternative
While smudging is based on using smoke, sometimes it is not possible to perform such a ceremony. For example, some people can’t be around smoke for a long time if they suffer from lung problems. Maybe your apartment or office setting won’t allow the use of smoke. Or simply, we might not have enough time for such a full-length ceremony.
Sage spray is an excellent alternative for smudging without smoke. Sprays that incorporate Sage essential oil exist on the market today. Considering the idea that the plant’s spirit is helping with the transmutation of energy, Sage sprays have a similar effect as the smoke ceremony.
While all Sage Sprays may look the same, they are not all alike.
We at Ambiance Sage are proud to have created sage sprays for everyday smoke-free smudging. We use very high quality sage essential oils and other natural ingredients. Our sage sprays are handcrafted with the intention of clearing energy, and spreading a beautiful smell. As our co-founder, Magda is a Reiki Master, she has infused each bottle with Reiki energy healing.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is an ancient energy healing modality. The meaning of the word Reiki in Japanese is “universal life force energy”. Reiki is used to balance the energy centres in a person’s body. It is also effective in healing animals and plants. Furthermore, it can be used to clear the energy and infuse positive white light in any area.
It has been shown by Dr Masaro Emoto, in his extensive research on the element of water, that water is affected by the energy it is exposed to. It holds and reacts to positive or negative energy. This is why it’s possible to infuse Ambiance Sage spray with the healing energy of Reiki.
We have combined two very powerful energy clearing tools and put them in a bottle for the public: sage and Reiki.
Reiki Infused Sage Spray for Smudging your Home
Ambiance Sage sprays come in three different scents:
- Love Reiki Sage Spray: includes the essence of Rose.
- Relax Reiki Sage Spray: includes the essence of Lavender.
- Breathe Reiki Sage Spray: includes the essence of Eucalyptus.
It’s important to be sensitive to the energy quality of our surroundings. This is not a new concept—It has always been effective to sense and change our environment as needed. The ritual of smudging has lived for a long time and is still in use today. In fact, it is being re-discovered, especially in these modern times when many of us are working, exercising, and attending school at home. This amount of home activity may lead to stagnant energies, or energies of discord and stress.
We invite you to start practicing smudging and notice the difference.